Sunday, January 18, 2009

Surprise Purchases

We have had quite the shower of blessings lately. No big checks in the mail, but purchases we have been saving and waiting for-all happened in a month's period of time.
We are a almost debt-free household. We only buy things we can pay cash for. We live a pretty simple lifestyle and generally use stuff way past it's intended life. We recycle, reuse, and sometimes just do without.
So in December we bought a used TV from R's brother. It was too good of deal, and it much nicer than the one we had. Then we got a wii for Christmas from the in-laws. We bought bikes for the family for Christmas. This already improved our entertainment possibilities greatly. Then a friend was willing to sell her Traeger BBQ. So I got that for R's birthday.
We were feeling pretty happy, and enjoying our new 'toys'. Then we went to my hometown. And bought a oven/stove for the kitchen. Most people do not buy appliances on vacations. But it was a really good deal. KitchenAid, flat top, convection oven, two years old, for under $200. I love ReStore! I have been waiting for 5 years for a new oven. My old one was original to our 1973 ranch house. It was golden harvest. And only 3 burners worked. And it had 30 years of gunk on the bottom. And the oven only held one rack. And the pans under the burners were gross. We had looked at 'cheap' ovens. But I wanted a nice one. I cook alot, and I didn't want a scratch and dent or a apartment set up. So I waited and got something wonderful.
The next week, R found a Jeep to buy. We have saved for over two years, and looked for six months. And it is just what we wanted. And a good deal, and it's FUN to drive.
So needless to say, we have been blessed. And we are done spending for awhile. Like the next three years. Well maybe not three, but at least the next year. Of course, there isn't much else for us to replace. Well, except the sliding glass door. It has a dent in the track so you have to slam it. I don't think having the kids slam a glass door is a good idea. I'm kinda hoping that one of them will slam it, it will fall off the track all the way, and shatter on the patio. Because then it would be an emergency and I'd have to have it replaced.
Anyways, my point. I think I had one. That God wants us to have our hearts desires. We wants to talk about the daily life we led. He wants to be part of it. We wants us to have a new stove, a new Jeep, and to blessed by him meeting our needs.
Here is where I struggle. In all honesty. There are children who are hungry tonight. There are mothers who will give up the child they love for the lack of a few dollars to feed them. I know God cares for them just as much. I know he desires to bless them just as much. So why me? Why am I blessed so abundantly? I know he doesn't love or favor me more? I know it's not luck? I know I've been faithful in some areas, and he is rewarding it. But I'm sure there are mothers who are faithful, and yet still can't feed their child.
I'm thankful that God is big enough to handle our doubts and our questions.

On the adoption front... Nothing is happening right now. We recieved our proposal in Sept. We were told that it would be a few to several weeks to recieve the mothers death certificate. We are pushing several, and I emailed the orphanage last week and confirmed we are still waiting on it. I have to admit that I didn't like that answer. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard. And don't they know I want my kids home. I kinda had a yucky attitude, and just made myself keep it to myself. I don't know if it worked, but I'm guessing not.
Then we went to church, and sang a song that God used to speak to my impatience.
"You do not faint. You won't grow weary Our God, You reign forever. Our hope, our Strong Deliverer. You're the defender of the weak, You comfort those in need. You lift us up on wings like eagles."
I pictured waiting on God, as he defends our children who are weak, delivers them, comfort them and knowing he is Everlasting. Then the line "You lift us up on wings like eagles." hit me. I pictured the eagles soaring. Wings outstretched, DOING NOTHING but letting God be enough. No fretting, not worried, not impatient. Not flapping it's wings to try and get higher, faster. Not pushing ahead of the wind. So I resolved that for the day and moment (because the present is all I can change) I will choose to spend the wings and let God be enough.

No comments: