Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pie... The most amazing apple pie EVER


I'm making this pie for Christmas. Last year I decided I was going to master making pies. I'd never managed to make a pie crust worth feeding to a hungry dog. Every attempt turned out awful. So last year, I found a recipe for pie crust from America's Test Kitchen-my favorite cookbooks. They test to find the best way to make something - and it's usually pretty dang good. So I made it - following the directions exactly. Which is NOT how I cook. Recipes are a guideline- but not to be followed exactly. Except with pie crust- follow exactly or it's horrible.
I made quiche, and it turned out okay. I made another one, and it was better. The neighbor brought over rhubarb, and I did a strawberry/rhubarb pie. It was ugly looking, but tasted pretty good. Then I tried apple pie, and it was good. I mean GOOD! The pie crust was perfect.
It was everything a pie is suppose to be, and it made me happy to have 'figured' it out.
Then I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman's website. It's apple pie on steroids. Well, not quite, but on caramel, strudel topping and nuts. It's amazing. Every recipe I've tried of hers is good. Check it out. I even want to try her Prune Cake. Made with prunes- but she makes it sound delicious.
Anyways- back to making pie today. I still use the America's Test Kitchen pie crust, and the Pioneer Woman pie recipe. Still can't follow a recipe exactly... but man the results are amazing.
My pies are still ugly, no matter what I do. I crimp, and the crust shrinks. But the great thing with this pie, I make the strudel go over the edges and it's a rustic look and no one knows I can't make a pretty pie. It's takes so good, no one cares if it's ugly looking. It's so good, no one cares if it has a four sticks of butter in it. It's so good, forget the pumpkin pie and cheesecake. It will knock your socks off...

No comments: