Monday, March 9, 2009

The power of words...

C came home from school and told me we were in a depression, and it's like the Great Depression. Well that got me thinking. I know the economy isn't stellar right now. I know that there is a chance R could loss his job before it's all better. I sometimes get worried that we've began this expensive adoption journey, and our financial security isn't as stable as I thought it was.



However, I keep thinking about what C said. It's like the Great Depression. Now I'm not a history buff - but I recall a few details about it. The stock market crashed in a big way. And there was a horrible drought. And so it was a financial crisis, followed by a agricultural crisis. And it lasted - a long time. And people lived through it. And they learned alot. Like how to live on very little, how important it is to save, how devastating debt can be.



The next day I found this great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qptfhu9R0WI

I don't know how to import a video - see the post describing my lack of techo savvy.

But I watched this woman who lived through the depression- making a meal of stale bread and hot water. And saying it was good. Because when you have nothing, any food is good.



So I went out grocery shopping today. And spent over $200 on food. No stale bread for us this week. And I drove my Dutch Bros and there were 4 cars in line. And Sonic was busy. And the cookie isle was picked over. So it's hard to say we are in another Great Depression.



So it got me thinking about the power of words. I know people say it's a recession until your layed off- then it's a depression. I think that is certainly how it feels. But if we are all going around saying we're in a depression -well it's enough to depress you. If your bracing yourself for the Great Depression- well get ready for cooked bread.



Whatever the economy does - I don't think it will have the impact of The Great Depression- and it always seems disrespectful to those who lived through it - to compare now to then.



And the power of words - well, I let C know that this is not the Great Depression. And even if it turns out to be - we will be okay. Our grandparents lived through it, we will too. And we will be stronger for it. Although I would be very sad if Dutch Bros closed. That would be depressing.

No comments: