Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Introduction-Hole in our Gospel

So I thought I do a chapter by chapter blog post. Except there was too much good stuff just in the introduction...so I guess I'll start there.

The introduction does exactly what it is suppose to...introduces us to the purpose of the author in writing this book. It's about understand what God expects of us? As people who love him. And what could happen if we understood and then did it. Easy to say. Hard to do.

'Yet we are the carriers of the gospel-the good news that was meant to change the world. Belief is not enough. Worship is not enough. Personal morality is not enough. And Christian community is not enough. God has always demanded more. When we committed ourselves to following Christ, we also committed to living out lives in such a way that a watching world would catch a glimpse of God's character-His love, justice, and mercy-through our words, actions, and behavior.' - Direct Quote

See, I had all that list checked off. Belief- check. I believe. Jesus, the cross, redemption. Worship-every weekend, twice even. While I work out, do dishes, and as I wake up. Extra big check. Gold Star even. Personal morality- Am truthful. Don't steal. Don't cheat. Check. Christian community- Church, small group, friends, CHECK...in fact it's 90% christian in my world.
And then I stumble. God wants more. He wants me to live out his character. That others would see him. How is that possible?? I think I'm honest about my faith. I don't hide it. You don't know me long, before you know I go to church, worship, and have a large Christian circle I run in. But living a life that people catch a glimpse of God? Not religion or church...but God himself?? Well....don't know about that.
However, I want more. I don't want to just go through the motions. I want to care about what God cares about. I want to do more than just have a private relationship with God. I want to have a public relationship with God. Not just that others would know I go to church. But that my relationship with God would effect them. That they would see mercy, grace and justice that God is and be changed by it.

The author closes the introduction with this thought..."What if two billion people embraced this vision of God transforming our world-through them? Imagine it. Indeed, what if even two thousand people took their faith to the next level - what might God do? Two thousand years ago, the world was changed forever by just twelve. I can happen again."
So I'm chewing on this...What IF God really wants to use ME, my family, to change the world? I'm talking to God about it, and praying for an open heart. What if everything I have that I think is enough for him, really isn't? What if the worship, tithe, church attendance, and christian community isn't as important as I've made it be? What if there is another piece I've looked away from?

My prayer...show me. Show me what breaks your heart. And let it break mine.

1 comment:

the Skips said...

LOVE it. we are chewing on these exact same things! watch out world, God is ON THE MOVE!!!!