Friday, May 14, 2010

Child Headed Households...Prologue

I look at Ce and see a young woman emerging. I think that in about 10 years she is going to be an amazing woman. A loving wife, and wonderful mother. And how much more she has to learn to get there. And how blessed she is to have time and resources to be successful.
And then I read about a 13 year old boy, who is now the head of his home. Who walks by his parents graves daily. Who is responsible for two siblings. With no adults in their lives to show them how to be adults. And I catch my breathe.
I love Ce, but the thought of her being head of the household is ridiculous. She can barely take care of herself. And I realize this is how God means it to be. Parents providing for children. Showing them how to be an adult. And when that doesn't happen, God's heart is broken.
And then this..."But what sickened my most was the question: where was the Church? Indeed, where were the followers of Jesus Christ in the midst of perhaps the greatest humanitarian crisis of our time?... How have we missed it so tragically, when even rock stars and Hollywood actors seem to understand?"
Sucker punch to the gut. Because the church he is talking about is my church. It's me. It's me, showing up and thinking that how our church is doing it is enough. I've been content with a nice building, well paid staff, dynamic youth group, and a collection taken up after the earthquake in Haiti. Except, somewhere in my heart I knew this wasn't really loving the poor. Which is why when the collection for Haiti happened, I was sad. Because it was a knee jerk reaction. Not a commitment to love the people of Haiti for Jesus. Write a check and feel better about the tragedy. I don't doubt the intentions of those who set up the collection were good, and that those who gave, gave out of love. However, if we were all confronted with a child who was trying to care for their siblings in a poverty stricken nation, would writing a check really be enough?
And here is where it gets personal for me...I know that one day, I'm going to stand before my heavenly Father. And I don't want to be shuffling my feet, hanging my head, saying to myself, "I thought I did enough. I adopted. I gave. I made a difference, within my church for the poor." Because I'm coming to realize, those words are going to be empty and meaningless standing next to a boy who lost both parents, and was looking to other people who love Jesus to BE love to him.

2 comments:

the Skips said...

oh Anita, we are right there with you. More then you know.

hopefuloffive said...

I finished this book, too devouring it, I think I read it in about 3 days and we have a busy household, so that meant staying up late at night to read. As I was reading I was wondering, but what have we done, what can we do...what? We too have adopted, yet that doesn't necessarily seem like the answer to what the church needs to do. After travelling to Haiti a couple times, I just know there is more, much more to do. I struggle about it, I ask God about it... I also read "And the Poor will be Glad." It is about microloans and the huge impact they have on a whole village. I look forward to more insight from you, love this book.