Saturday, May 15, 2010

Devouring...

I'm devouring A Hole in our Gospel...fast and furious. And then going back and rereading it. And then blogging. It's been a long time since I've had a book that has prompted this reaction. The kind that I wake up thinking about. The kind that I think of as I'm grocery shopping. The kind that I really have it out with God over. You know, it goes something like this..."Really God, Really? I don't know what to do with this??" Followed by, "Okay, seriously....this isn't what I thought you meant, this seems a little extreme." And finally, "Okay, you're God, I'm not, so I guess I'll let you decide how it is."

So, what books have you laying awake at night? What books do you reread? What books do you give to friends, and tell them the HAVE to read. What books have changed you?

My list...rather short tonight.
Bible-God-standard Christian answer, I know. But really, just the summer I spent studying Isaiah changed me forever. And Romans, oh my. And James...don't get me started on James.
What's so Amazing about Grace- Philip Yancy. Read it, forget what you think you know about Grace, and see what God meant Grace to be. Hint- it's not just about receiving it. He wants us to give it to others. After receiving an ample supply from him. This was a profound lesson for me. The church I grew up in, Grace from others was in short supply, but Judgement was free at the door.
My Utmost for his Highest- Oswald Chambers. Graduation Gift. First adult devotional. Nothing light and fluffy here. And a classic.
Stones from the River-Urseli Hegi. Not a christian book. However, a beautiful story about redemption in Germany during World War II. Think the Holocaust couldn't happen again, in your country; this book convinced me it is possible and maybe even likely.
The Shack-William P. Young. This is maybe the most controversial pick. Keep in mind it's a fictional story. Written by a father for his children. Not a commentary. Not a theological paper. But a parable to help us understand who God is, and how a relationship with him could be. And I get to meet the author next week. And here him speak. And hear others stories about how God has come to them in their pain and suffering, and provided comfort.
That is the short list...there are more. But if I had to pack for a year on a desert island, these books would make the cut.
What are your books? What would you pack? What do you devour? What has God used to bring you someplace you didn't know existed?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I'll be the first to respond (Corey)! For my short list of books, I would recommend "No Compromise - The Keith Green Story", written by the widow of Keith Green. Incredible life story of his worldliness in the music industry, full-out conversion, and a life of faith and devotion to the Lord. Next is "Twelve Ordinary Men" by John MacArthur. Challenges you to live beyond what our culture says you should live like. "Living Above the Level of Mediocrity" by Chuck Swindoll. I'm in the middle of this one, but it's challenging. The title says it all. Next is another challenging MacArthur book, "The Jesus You Can't Ignore" which is a life changer. "If God is Good" by Randy Alcorn is one I am going to read and have heard great things about. And of course, "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oz Chambers, and "The Shack" for it's analogies (yes, it's FICTION people, not Gospel truth). There's the short list!