Saturday, January 16, 2010

Update

Well, it's after midnight and once again I'm wondering when sleep will come. And then I realized I should update this blog, since LOTS has happened in the last 4 days. Whirlwind.
Tuesday was a difficult day. It was the anniversary of my mom's death. This date is always hard. And I was just trying to get through it. I had turned off the computer and was trying to just rest and get through it. About 2:30pm, a friend called and told me there was a hurricane in Haiti. My first thought was that it was a small event, and hoping that the kids were okay. Then I started to hear the details, and started to panic. I can't describe the feeling, other than the downward part of the rollercoaster. Thankfully it was short lived, and it was posted the GLA (our orphanage) had survived and had no injuries.
We then started to wait and gather details. We hadn't really started to think about what it meant for us, for the kids, for the adoption process. By Wednesday, we began to worry. Really worry. That it would be years before we'd be able to get the paperwork finished. That our file could be in a pile of rubble. That our kids could spend years in the orphanage. And then we surrendered it again. And again. And again. God ordains adoptions, and God completes adoptions. He is mighter than an earthquake. We contacted the Statesman Journal, who ran a story that included our journey. Anything to get attention on GLA and the needs there.
We were asked by the orphanage director to start asking the US government to help get these kids out. We started the process of contacting Senator's offices. We started to send out request for people to make phone calls, send emails, and be heard about these kids. Thursday was spent on the phone, trying to be heard. And I think it might just work.
There is alot going on, lots behind the scenes, that even we don't know about. But the powers that be, are seeing what can be done to get kids here. Our kids here. Soon. We have began to have a sliver of hope that it could really happen. There is still much to be done. The Haitian government, what is left of it, will need to act. The US has to figure out how to legally do it. The logistics of moving kids from the orphanage to the airport, and then out of Haiti, is a nightmare.
However, our God is a God of redemption. He can work all those details out. He can move the Haitian officials to make a decision. He can provide a way through the red tape.
We have been surrounded by love, prayer, and support. The calls, emails, and prayers have given us hope when we feel like throwing our hands in the air and screaming. We are so overwhelmed at times, and then a call comes in, and we are reminded that God can not be overwhelmed.
We aren't sure how quick this will happen. A few days, a few weeks?? We have lots to do to get ready. We haven't painted their room, our exchange student is still in it, and don't have a single thing for either of them. I get overwhelmed thinking about it, and then someone calls to offer their help. And I realize that they will come paint if I need them too. That our needs will be met.
God has shown himself through this process, since the first thought of adopting occured to us. Our file was in courts last week. We were expecting to hear it was out this week. On Tuesday, before the quake it was retrieved by the orphanage. It was to be turned in for legalization on Wednesday. Both of those building are piles of rubble. And our file, with a adoption decree, is safe at GLA. He will redeem this situation.
Okay, truly should go to bed. I feel tired. I feel like I should sleep. Sometimes I can, sometimes I lie there thinking of where is the best place to go shopping for Re, what color the room should be, where to get hair products for Er, and a million little details.
Tomorrow I'll post specific prayer request. Prayer is the weapon of choice in this battle.

No comments: