Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Feast...

We are hopefully going to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast a day early. Myself, and the six children running around. Wait - make that seven children running around. The turkey is in the roaster. We've cut up celery -everyone cutting a stalk. We've got stuffing ready for the oven. Now we are on break until it's time to do the potato's. Then the turkey should be done, and we can set a beautiful table.

So the girls are all playing in their bedroom - Barbies. C and P have already done war this morning. So the sounds of them playing together sweetly- well, it's sweet. Much sweeter than slamming doors and names being called.

Back to Thanksgiving Feast. I'm not sure what made me think I should cook a Thanksgiving meal with 6+ children. Other than I remember the joy of bringing the meal together with my Mom and Nana. We travel to R's family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We rarely cook an entire meal in our home. I want the girls to know how to make a holiday meal. I want them to know how much work goes into a holiday meal. I want them to remember cooking with Mom. Not just showing up and an amazing meal is magically on the table. I want them to remember the holidays as time spent together, in the kitchen cooking and visiting. Talking about where the receipe comes from, the best way to make sweet potato's (it doesn't involve anything that comes out of a can or marshmellows), and how fortunate we are to have so much.

So we are off to peel potato's, bake the stuffing, get the green beans started. The turkey smells amazing. And apple pie is waiting on the counter for dessert. YUM!!!

No comments: