Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Jazzie

Introducing Jazzie...a border collie who now resides within 10 feet of me at all times.
Jazzie came to stay with us for a couple weeks, while her family found a new living situation. It was a short term stay. And then they found out they couldn't afford a place that took animals. By then, we had bonded. We were close. We couldn't let her go to the pound.
Here are the details:
-She nervous pees. Around men especially. And then is horribly embarrassed. And doesn't want to move and reveal the puddle. But we all know, because it really can't be contained.
-She barks. This surprises us. It shouldn't. She is a dog. Dog=Bark. However, Mattie didn't. Mattie was a greyhound. She barked rarely. Once I let her out, and forgot to let her in. After an hour or so, I heard barking. And wondered why no one was dealing with their dog. It was 10 at night. And then it dawned on, Mattie was still outside. I went to let her in and realized it was MY dog barking. Jazzie barks. At people walking by, at the birds in the yard, at flies, because she wants to play, be fed, petted, or just wants my attention. And it gets old.
-She is a shadow. She follows me. EVERYWHERE. If I go to the bedroom, she lays on the bed and watches me. If I go to the bathroom, she waits outside the door. If I go to make dinner, she lays between the stove and the sink. And when I leave the house, she waits by the front window for me to come home. And if I dare to be outside where she can see me, the pained look on her face is almost to much to bear.
-She is determined to sleep on R's side of the bed. He barely tolerates her sleeping on my side. Yet, she is determined to win him over. Good Luck with that Jaz.
-You can read her face like a book. You know if she is annoyed. Or done something she shouldn't have. Or just wants to be close. There is no guessing what her issue is.
-She is good with the kids, tolerates them well. She is a little rough for them to play with on their own. She does know when one of them is walking her, and doesn't pull. She can get annoyed if they won't leave her alone, and the look on her face is priceless. I feel the same way some days, so I understand.
While we didn't think we were ready for a new dog, God provided one. It was a good price (free) and fits right in to our crazy family. Dogs are alot of work, which reminds me I need to file her nails and clean her ears. However, when they crawl up to lay next to you and snuggle close, there is nothing like it. When you are sick and they won't leave your side, you know you are loved. And all they ask for is an occasional toss of the toy, a little food and water, and to be loved back. I think we can do that.

No comments: