Monday, February 16, 2009

Ahhh....computer, How I loathe thee

I'm technically challenged. This statement alone explains a lot about my blog. And my life in general. If it requires thinking mechanically - it's not going to happen if I'm left to my own devices.
As a child I got in trouble for taking apart all my Nana's clothespins. My hands are always moving, and for some reason the cut up milk carton of clothespins were nearby. So I managed to take the metal clip out of the majority of them, before she realized what I was doing. My punishment was simple - put them back together. I was about 10 - so this is a reasonable request. If it had been my brother, he could have done it in less time then it took to take them apart.
However, I spent an hour frustrated and only put 4 back together. I just couldn't figure it out. I'm not sure if I could today. Nana finally gave up, made me do some other chores to earn money to buy more.
So a computer is clearly out of my league. I resisted having a personal computer. R really wanted one, because he gets them and thinks they are fun. So we finally got a Dell laptop. And he set it all up, and even lets me use it.
Here is the way I repay him...
-I broke the screen, costing $100 to fix
-I downloaded a virus and killed the hard drive, costing another $100
-I didn't get the no eating/drinking near the computer memo, and it cost us $100 to replace the keyboard. It's really hard to use when it continuously types jjjjjjjjjjj
-The power cord needed to be replaced, you could see exposed wires, $25 to get a new one
-And on Friday, the hard drive was fried again...
Another $100 to fix.

Yeah, not to mention the time and energy R has spent fixing all my 'mistakes'.

So I'm lucky he still lets me use it. Although this weekend he started talking about a second laptop, for him. Can't say as I blame the guy. If he kept breaking my stuff, I'd want my own too.

So that is why I've been AWOL...and why I haven't posted current pictures. However, once R finishes loading the apps (I think that is what they are called) I will do it.

No comments: