Thursday, April 15, 2010

We are the Truth day

The Joint Counsel on International Children's Services has declared today to be "We are the Truth Adoption Blogger Day". This is in response to the woman who put a little boy on a plane to Russia. I can't call them mother and son, because clearly that was not the case.
So we are to tell our Adoption Truth today on our blog. Now I think 5 people read this. And they are mostly family and close friends. But please share as you feel led.
Our adoption story is pretty cool. There have been some really high ups and really low downs. Lost paperwork, travel plans secured the day of travel, meeting our children to leave them, an earthquake, an evacuation, God moving mountains, and our little hearts running behind all of this trying to catch the lessons.
We are to blog our successful adoption story. It seems early to me to deem us successful in navigating this new life. And our adoption is not really complete. Yes our kids are home, but we have a long paperwork journey ahead of us.
However, I can say this. We love them. We are working hard on merging these two families together into one. We are doing our best to figure it out as we go. We may not feel the success for a long time to come. That is the reality of international adoption. But you continue on, having faith that paperwork was found, mountains were moved, so that the journey could be completed. These kids are broken. Even in the best of situations. And it takes time, prayer, love and grace to heal them. From God and you. And we are banking on that.
I don't know this mom. I don't know her pain and frustration. I do know how painful and frustrating it can be with my own children. I can now see how disrupted adoptions can happen. How the toll could be more than one can imagine. How a parent can be without other options. How a child can be too broken for that family to heal. Or that family may be to broken to heal that child. And those parents are faced with the most difficult decisions of how to proceed forward. It's easy for adoptive parents to judge those who have had to say this isn't going to work. I've found myself thinking those harsh thoughts. However, my perspective has changed after three of the most trying months of my life. If I didn't see progress and have hope that there is healing happening, I don't know if I could continue on for 15 more years. If I could put the rest of my family through 15 years of distruption.
But you still can't put your kid on a plane and send them home. You are still responsible for getting them to the next place they can call home. You don't get to be spiteful to the country they came from and send them back with a note attached. You don't get to blame them for your lack of knowledge. Regardless of what you were told, every internationally adopted child comes with lots of baggage. Every adoption book, forum, and agency informs you of this, if your eyes are open.
So yes, we have a successful adoption. We pray it stays that way. We can't imagine a family without Re and Er. It may be years before we can say with confidence it was and is successful, but we will continue on with their best interest at heart.

No comments: