Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thankful for...

Because gratefulness brings contentment - and I'm struggling to be content.

I'm thankful for:

-Heat, Electric blankets, kids to cuddle with, warm coats, gloves, hats, mittens, car heaters, warm socks, hot water, warm food, hot coffee, anything else that takes this chill off.

-Coffee - wonderful, glorious coffee. You, my friend, have always served me well. Your richness, your boldness, the ritual of creating the perfect cup of you, the first taste, the slow enjoyment of a cup, the order you bring to my brain, and how you smell. Oh, how you smell. Heaven will smell like you, fresh roasted, fresh ground and french pressed.

-Lovely, healthy, cheap food. The ability to go to a grocery store and purchase fresh fruits, to have a selection of proteins, and we won't mention the variety of coffee creamer available. To have choices about the food we eat. To have 5 different lettuces to choose from. To have 4 different brands of peanut butter. To have whole grain bread, skinny cow ice cream and carrots all available and affordable.

-Electricity - to post on my blog, to have light at night, to watch another episode of The Office, to bake a cake, cook dinner, and all without wondering how to pay for it or if it will continue to work.

Okay, feeling a little better. So much to be thankful for. It's easy to get distracted by all that I feel I have to go without some days. By the lack of disposable income to take vacations, or go out to eat, or buy new furniture. Or the lack of ability to buy whatever my heart currently desires. However, I've come to realize that buying everything your heart desires only creates a heart that always desires more stuff. But some days I can't help but long for a bank account with a few more zero's. Instead I will be thankful for the huge amount of blessings I do have. And recognize that this too shall pass.

No comments: